Sunday, April 15, 2012

Please recommend walking tours

We have 2 full days and 1 half day in Prague in August. It is the last leg of our trip to Austria and then bicycling through Bohemia. We would like to spend part of one day in Tereisenstadt.





Can someone recommend an English-speaking walking tour of Prague. We are definitely interested in seeing the old Jewish quarter. Do we need to book the tour now or can we wait until we are in Europe?





Thanks.




|||



We just returned and have a GREAT young man named Jay Pesta who had excellent English and is well worth his fees. He is not expensive compared to others and will custom it to whatever you want/need. Contact him through jaroslav.pesta@gmail.com. You can look at his tours through his website www.prague-walks.com. We took the all day Prague tour as well as 2 days of out of city tours. If you need a place, very special to stay, U Zlate Studne, The Golden Well. Careful there is another near the same name and not at all the same...this one is near the castle. Really nice!




|||



I hired a walking tour guide for an individual tour of Old Town including the Jewish Quarter last September.



Her name is Dana Chaloupka. She is a licensed guide. Her rates are on her website.



http://www.sweb.cz/travelcz/





Because I set up the tour in advance she was able to personalize my visit to my particular interests. She did a lot of research before I arrived to answer my questions or find people who could.





It really made my short stay in Prague great.





I highly recommend her.




|||



Hi Walter, I am just back from Prague 4 weeks and was there from late Saturday evening until Tuesday evening - more or less the same as you. In that time I saw the old town, the castle, the new town, the TV tower (where I even had lunch), Vysehrad, the Jewish Quarter and even concerts at night. All on my own and without a guide. There is such a wealth of information on this and other sites and so many guidebooks. I have no problem with guides but these are my trips, my experiences and my holidays and I really don%26#39;t want a guide showing me what they think I should see - I decide what I want to/need to see in advance and do it. The net result is I have fabulous trips. totally satisfied and save myself a pile of euros. I%26#39;m not mean with money its just that most of the time I can get myself where I want to go to. In previous trips I have done this successfully all over Europe, Moscow %26amp; St Petersburg. Cairo and Jerusalem. Sometimes I do realise that a guide is a good idea - like my trip to Krakow this weekend for the trip to Auschwitz. I could do it on my own but a guide will give me added value. My point is that you can do it on your own - don%26#39;t worry about missing out on anything as long as you have done some research. You will save money and have a really personal experience.




|||



I think hiring a guide is a really personal decision.





I agree that some trips are better without a guide and some trips are enhanced by them. Honestly I didn%26#39;t feel like I needed one up at the Castle in Prague (and went without happily). I had some specific questions about life under Communism and wanted to get a more personal experience while I was in Prague. It really depends on what you are looking for. I also relied on my guide to translate for me in some of the more obscure places we visited (which she arranged). Since Dana is a licensed guide she was able to come with me to museums for free and we discussed the things we saw together. In some ways it was like a traveling with a local friend and as a solo traveler on a two week trip I was eager for someone to chat with. But I can see how others would feel weighed down on a %26quot;tour.%26quot; I also didn%26#39;t want to be part of a large group tour and again was looking for more one on one contact. So it was a good investment for me.





I personally didn%26#39;t hire a guide at Auschwitz (as a lot of people on the krakow TA website recommended). I felt like I had a better experience doing my own research and moving at my own pace. But again it%26#39;s really a personal decision.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 25, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment