Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Exchange money in Prague.

Our flight will be arrive in Prague around 6.00pm. We plan to take a taxi to our hotel. I was wondering, should I exchange some money from US or should I wait until I get to Prague. I just want to have some local money with me. Where I will get the best rate? Is the bank in US carry CZK that I can exchange?




|||



Wait until you get to Prague and use the ATM in the airport. Any exchange rate you will find in the USA will be far worse than anything else you may find, and you won%26#39;t need any local currency on the way from the aircraft to the arrivals hall anyway.



And don%26#39;t use the exchange kiosks in the city - they are also generally ripoffs. Always go to a bank (směnárna - exchange) or ATM.



US banks may well have CZK, but it is likely to be very expensive!




|||



http://exchange.cz



This exchange office is reputable, I always exchange money here, they have one of the best rates in Prague. It is situated close to Staromestske namesti (Staromestske Square), see the contact page.





Another safe and good money exchange:



http://www.camfexgroup.com





If you want to exchange money in other exchange offices, allways see and ask if there is any commission for an exchange and beware of some dirty tricks (different rates for different amount of money), for example see this articles:





praguepost.com/P03/2005/Art/0512/news1.php



cbw.cz/en/…5886.html




|||



Thank you so much for your response. I will wait and get money out from ATM. Anyone know how much the bank charge for using ATM? Is the charge up to my bank or the bank that I use ATM?




|||



Hi



The charges are levied by your own bank. I don%26#39;t know of an American bank who do not make a charge of aboout $3 or $4 per transaction. In the UK we have the Nationwide and they are the only ones who let you take your own money out for free.



Jackie




|||



I prefer to use my ATM card in Prague, my first trip I exchanged my money in the city center and the rates were terrible and there were hidden charges. I soon realized that wasn%26#39;t a smart moved and I have used my ATM card ever since. FYI, my bank charges a $2.00 international fee on top of a normal ATM withdrawl fee. I just try to take the max out.




|||



Just be careful if you do take the max out that you don%26#39;t take the money around with you, or you might find that your withdrawal was more expensive than you bargained for! :)



Leave it in a safe place in your hotel if you can, and only take with you what you might need for that day.




|||



some advice then majklp on my last two trips i exchanged money here in USA before i arrived in prague but noticed you stated better to exchange when i get there which place has the best rates and are reliable also is there a different rate of exchange if you use cash then debit card personal check or do they even accept cash (US dollars) and personal checks thanks




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 22, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment