Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Health Insurance

I recently booked a vacation to Prague and was told both by the airline and travel agent that I must have proof of health insurance for at least 39,000 USD per person. I do have health insurance, but they refuse to put a specific amount on it--since the coverage is unlimited. Does anyone know if this in fact is needed to get into the country? If so, where do they check?





Thanks to anyone who has any input.




|||



from what i have been told ,checks are made occasionally, but surely a copy of your health insurance with the mention of unlimited cover woul be more than enough.



we in the EU have a European Union health card that covers us for emergency heathcare treatment




|||



I%26#39;ve been to Prague twice and have never had my health insurance status checked. That being said, my BCBS policy does not cover overseas treatments.





So I just bought a travel policy for $65 for the month that covers lost and delayed baggage, health/dental insurance, terrorism, and emergency evacuation.




|||



yes I think it is worth buying an additional travel insurance policy,I always do.



My health insurance card covers me for medical treatment in EU countries but but only for what that country gives to its citizens and does not cover repatriation costs or additional nights in the country visited.



my annual travel policy covers me for several trip of upto 60 days in any European country with lost baggage ,flight delays /cancellation,repatriation,third party damage etc for about £40 ($80) per year.




|||



I would recommend travel insurance also, it usually includes trip cancellation or delay insurance, additional luggage insurance, repatriation if ill or worse, coverage for theft of your tickets or other belongings and additional emergency medical and dental. So it may be worth the additional amount besides the health coverage it provides.





I traveled by train from Vienna to Prague and I was never asked for proof of policy but I imagine if they did it would be when they check your passport on the train with your ticket or if you arrive by plane it could be as you are going through customs.





Maybe the airlines have to check now so people are not arriving and being refused entry at customs. That would be really a horrible glitch to your vacation.:(




|||



With all the crappy coverage that a lot of us %26quot;US-er%26#39;s%26quot; get from our respective HMOs, We%26#39;ve started to take out medical policies to cover our trips out of the country.





I can fully understand that many of the EU nations are tired of having non-EU people enter their country and use their health care system(s).





The supplemental policies are not terribly expensive. The older you are, the more attractive they look to you, especially as they address repatriation if you become seriously ill and need to be (or want to be) sent home.





Whether or not the insurers would follow through, I have no idea as we%26#39;ve never had to use the *%26amp;%^%$ thing. As you can tell, I love insurance.





At any rate, the policy gave us a lot of peace of mind when we visited China.





This said, we%26#39;ve never been asked to produce our health insurance card to see how well we are covered, but it could be something that would happen.



tptr




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 22, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment