Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Overall impression of our visit

Prague is wonderful and beautiful, had a great time wandering around the small streets etc. I%26#39;d recommend pushing away from the tourist centre a bit, take a few tram rides etc. Most local people were friendly and helpful, good food , good beer.





For me, I guess because I have a second home in Belgrade I don%26#39;t get the %26#39;eastern european culture shock%26#39; that many other brits or Americans will feel and I think that%26#39;s what would keep drawing them back for more. As I have that already, I%26#39;ve now seen the main parts of Prague and probably won%26#39;t return.





It does suffer in part from the %26#39;theme park%26#39; feeling, as in Rome and other great tourist cities. Too many tacky shops, too many queues etc. Prices cheaper than U.K. but clearly far too high for the Czech Republic.





So we had a great time, I%26#39;d recommend everyone to go at least once, you may be drawn back you may not but it%26#39;s something of a must see IMO.





Don%26#39;t be concerned about the negative posts and warnings, it%26#39;s a good destination as long as you take basic precautions.





I also wouldn%26#39;t get too hung up about being slightly over charged, there are some great looking restaurants serving really nice food in nice surroundings, you have to pay a bit more but it goes with the territory.





Oh and -=- Take a camera!!!!!





Hope I haven%26#39;t bored you with my 4 posts!:-)





Regards



Stoofer




|||



Hi Stoofer,





Thanks for all the posts. I looked for the hotel you stayed at but I couldn%26#39;t find it on TA. Could you list it again?





Thanks,



New York Chubby




|||



Hi Chubby





They have a very accurate web-site, what you see is what you get:





www.betlemclub.cz





Look on the tourist map for Betlemska Namesti,



it%26#39;s the square with Betlemska Kapel (Bethlehem chapel). Nice area, 2 blocks back from the river.





Stoofer




|||



P.S. Chubby





There are a couple of TA reviews, go to hotel search. I%26#39;ll add one later. There is one from 2004 complaining about breakfast.





The buffet consists of:





Fruit juice



4 types of salami



2 types of cheese



boiled eggs



scrambled eggs



mini hot dogs



cheese and pate spreads.



toast



breads of 6 types



jams %26amp; marmalade



cakes



coffee



Tea





Not sure what anyone else wants from a hotel with 2* prices - I was happy:-)





Stoofer




|||



Hi there Stoofer



Glad you had a nice break. I%26#39;ve been perusing the other (neg) posts on Prague, I%26#39;ve only been once but I thought it was very nice - although as you say, once you%26#39;ve seen it, you%26#39;ve seen it. Friend of mine came back last week and seemed to think the prices had risen quite a bit...




|||



Hi Stoog





Thanks.





I don%26#39;t think it%26#39;s so much the prices but the exchange rate that hurts. Had we gone in October it would have been 25% cheaper.





Markets running scared of Stering and USD :-(





Stoofer




|||



Sterling!! (must learn to type)




|||



it is definatley the exchange rate,last



May it was 40czk/£1 this march 30czk/£1



Must say Stoofer that breakfast would have done me fine!




|||



Ah, I see. Tis not really the cheap destination that everyone expects though, especially as they all congregate in the main town. We got stung having a drink opposite the Clock Tower, but once bitten! Found some interesting local eateries over the other side of Charles Bridge. I never got short changed/ripped off/charged 800 quid in a taxi either! A very pretty place, shame about the level of tourism there.




|||



Stoofer,



Going April 20 for 4 nights. Like you, don%26#39;t like too much tourists b.s. You said tram rides, where to and what to see? You think 4 nights too much, coming from Nuremberg and maybe could stop in some other Czech town on the way.





Regards




|||



Chablis





Actually we did stay in and around Prague because there was much to see in 4 days, but if you want day trips there are plenty advertised and the locals here will advise better than I.





For a meal out, if you like %26#39;Gypsy%26#39; music and some interesting food and atmosphere at fair prices try the tram ride to Koliba Pastyrky as per my review. It%26#39;s only about 4 stops from Narodni Trida on tram 6 to Bruselska then about 4 more on tram 11, takes 15 mins. + 5 min walk. Best evening we had in Prague.





Stoofer

No comments:

Post a Comment