Sunday, April 15, 2012

I am so excited! Planning a Trip to Prague

I finally rec%26#39;d the son%26#39;s passport!!! I am ready to go to Prague!



I am so looking forward to this trip- I%26#39;ve posted on this forum before %26amp; rec%26#39;d some great responses.





Here is the situation-



I am traveling with my husband and my 3 year old son.





I would like to make our trip a total of 8 days.





I would like to fly into Prague %26amp; also visit Vienna and Salzburg. I would also like to take a day trip to Bratislava (grandpop was from there).





I do not need luxury, but somewhere clean and in the town centers.





Also, can you all suggest how many days to stay in each city?





Thank you all!



Maria




|||



Maria,





Head to your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and look at Rick Steves%26#39; Eastern Europe. He has lots of ideas and recommendations that are good for a first-timer who is a budget traveller.





Your local library is also an excellent source for checking out travel books.





I%26#39;m just starting my research for next year so I can%26#39;t be more specific. You%26#39;ve started out at a great place for good, timely information.





Barbara




|||



I would give at least 3-4 days for Prague. With the little guy it might be easier staying on the Old Town side where it is flat and easier to walk. The castle side is hilly. There are so many nice places to stay. Might want to start with www.venere.com It gives places to stay by area and prices. Then come back to TA and see how they were rated.




|||



I am saying at least 3 days in each, and since you have a little one you may divide the other 2 days between Vienna and Praque, we only did a day trip to Bratislava from Vienna and it was on a Sunday when all the stores in old town were closed but we did get some souveniers and went up to the castle. Vienna and Praque are 2 of our favorite places, 3 days in Saltzburg was enough for us. Definetly make it to Schonbraunn in Vienna and your son may like to see the Lipizanners. The Saltzburg fortress was pretty cool. We did an evening concert there.




|||



Minimum 3 days Prague, 3 days Vienna, 2 days you can split between the other cities.




|||



If you are willing to stay at a Bed %26amp; Breakfast place I could recommend %26#39;The Bridge%26#39;. My wife and I stayed there in Januray and found the place, reasonable, clean and within 50 Euros per night. the place is also conveniently located within walking distance from andel station and Mustek station which will get you into Hlavni Nadrazi - from where trains to Salzburg and Vienna will be available. the hotel is also well located in terms of sights and museums and a little way away from Strahov monastery.





Thanks



Rahul




|||



My wife and I were in Prague and had a similar itinerary apart from Bratislava. If you are willing to stay in a B%26amp;B we would recommend %26#39;The Bridge%26#39; which was clean, conveniently located and and within 50 Euros per night. It is also very close to Andel %26amp; Mustek stations which will get you to Hlavni Narazi from where you can - if you want - take trains to both Vienna and Salzburg.





In Salzburg we can recommend %26#39;Haus Reichl%26#39; which though is a little away from the main city is well connected by buses which take you and back to the heart of the city for 2 Euros till 11.30pm. The place is fabuluos and the view is gorgous with the room overlooking the Austrian Alps. The price was 26 Euros per person per night and the e-mail id is haus.reichl@telering.at




|||



The problem with Salzburg is getting there from Prague. When travelling with a 3 year-old (I know - I%26#39;ve got one myself) you do not want to be changing trains in unfamiliar places - there is one direct train, but it takes 7 hours and arrives after midnight.



If you do a day trip to Bratislava, do it from Vienna as it is only one hour away - it is not really feasible from Prague. Ditto Salzburg - it is only 3 hours from Vienna.



On your itinerary and with your limited amount of time and limitations in general, I would leave out Salzburg as it is a bit out %26#39;on a limb%26#39;. IMHO it has become a bit spoiled by lederhosen/dirndl/Sound of Music shops anyway and can get horribly packed - not nice with little children. There is a great zoo in Vienna/Schonbrunn, and also in Prague - there are some posts about kids and Prague below - do a search and you will find them.



I don%26#39;t know when you are going, but you could get the hydrofoil from Vienna to Bratislava - it doesn%26#39;t start running until later this month, but is well worth it.



I would stick to Prague and Vienna, with a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava, or maybe an overnight stay.



Hope this helps!




|||



and the trains to Vienna go from Holesovice station in Prague - use this site for your train planning jizdnirady.idnes.cz/JRCis.asp?tt=c%26p=MF%26cl=E5 (it covers all of Europe)




|||



Also be prepared for a lot of cobblestones if you are pushing your son in a carriage.





I stayed at a small family run hotel in Mala Strana. I liked it because the family running it spoke excellent English and were very willing to make local recommendations (the owner%26#39;s son who manages the desk in the evening also has young kids and would likely be able to make some handy recommendations for a young visitor).





Here is my review:



tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d311…




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 24, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment