Friday, March 23, 2012

1st time in Prague w/ 10 yr old -- 3 1/2 days enough?

We%26#39;re visiting Prague for the 1st time in June %26#39;08. We%26#39;re taking our 10 yr old girl with us. Is the city safe esp at night?





What would you receommend we do in 3 1/2 days? We%26#39;re going on to Vienna, Salzburg then Florence. We%26#39;re trying to figure out where to allocate more of our time.





Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!





Thanks, B




|||



Do I understand you are doing Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Florence in 3 1/2 days? If this is correct, you are going to spend the entire time traveling to these places. Pick one and enjoy it. Your child will thank you too.




|||



I hope they will not be going to all of those places in 3.5 days. That would be crazy!!!!





Yes, the city is safe at night. Stick to the tourist areas if you are unsure where or where not to go.





I don%26#39;t know how many days you have. 3 days in Prague would be nice (min. 2), 3 days in Vienna would be good (min. of 2), never been to Salzburg, and Florence...I would say 2 days min.





Again, it depends on what you want to see, what interests you have, if you like art museums, if you like taking photos, shopping, food, etc.





For instance, if you are going to Vienna and want to go to the Kunthistoriches museum. You will need more time than someone that is not interested in the museum. Make sense?





Must sees for me-



Prague: Old Town Sq, walking around all of the old streets, seeing the Castle, visiting the larger churches (St. Vitus, St. Nicholas), and St. Charles Bridge.





Vienna: The Kunthistoriches Museum, the Butterfly House, the churches, Karlskirche, Stephansom Church (must go into the basement tour too), Kaisergruft (the royal crypts - one of the coolest places ever), and the Prater was neat to visit (especially if you are young), Beethoven%26#39;s house was an experience -not much to look at, but just an experience.





Florence: St. Croce, The Ufizi, The Duomo, shopping, the gelato. However, I personally recommend Venice or Rome instead of Florence hands down. It is more of an experience and not so touristy and %26quot;Americanized%26quot;. Sorry all you Florence lovers. This is my opinion only.




|||



Thanks for your replies Luscious( why didn%26#39;t I think of that name!:) )and Buffalo! Hahaha! No, it%26#39;ll be 3 days in Prague and then on to Vienna (2 1/2 days), Salzburg (ditto) and lastly Florence!



Buffalo, thanks for all your suggestions. I don%26#39;t know if my daughter would like the royal crypts. I read an article about the mueseum in a travel mag.. What an incredible building and what an interesting way to make something morbid, modern and less morbid!



I hope we%26#39;re not going to be disappointed in Florence. We were in Como, Milan, Venice (LOVED LOVED LOVED that place!) and Rome the past 2 summers.Wondering where to %26quot;park%26quot; ourselves in Florence. The sister property to Villa D%26#39;Este has gotten crazy expensive. We were thinking the Savoy or something in that area.



Thanks again!



B




|||



So glad to see that I misunderstood your plans! I have not been to Florence, but I am going to be there this summer and have done quite a bit of research. So, take this with a grain of salt...We are staying in a lovely inn in the hills surrounding Florence. The personal attention and beautiful scenery really appealed to us. I have read in a number of places that the night life in Florence can be lively and loud depending on where you are staying. Maybe someone would like to comment on that. So, with the kids we thought out of town a bit would be better. We also have a 10 year old and will be in Prague %26amp; Rome as well. Good luck!




|||



Hi Luscious, I was typing my reply and all of a sudden evrything went blank. Hmm.. Anyway, thank you for that interesting thought. Staying in the %26quot;countryside%26quot; may be fun instead of the city. How long is it going to take you to get to the city to see the sights? HOw did you find the place? My husband suggested doing something like that. I am in dire need of a Florence (and Prague)guidebk . Maybe staying on the outskirts would faciliate going to Pisa and Siena.





If you like mozarella cheese(!) try this mozarella bar that everyone has bn telling me about. Irritated I missed it the last time we were in Rome. It%26#39;s called Obika!





Happy travels. Maybe our paths will cross!



B




|||



In Florence, we are staying at La Paggeria - about five miles from the center of Florence. It would not be fair to go so far as recommending it as I haven%26#39;t stayed there yet. However, it had all the elements we were looking for. If you google the name the website will come up. As far as finding the small inns I did loads of searches for B%26amp;B%26#39;s in specific areas. In Prague, I am still making arrangements. The Rick Steves guide books have been recommended to me and so I am going to pick those up. Will be in Prague in August and Florence in June.




|||



Thanks, Luscious. I need to get to the bkstore tomorrow. We%26#39;re going to be in Prague, Austria and Florence all in the same early June trip! Now someone told me that Budapest is a must-see. So many places so little time!



I think I want to stick to the city ctr to see the museums and then maybe drive out adn stay somewhere quaint. More research....



Good luck with yours, B




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment