Tuesday, March 27, 2012

best beer in prague?

i%26#39;m going to prague for my first time and would love to find the best beer in prague.



i really enjoy a nice light beer and some of my favourites have been in austria and switzerland. i have heard about pilsner urquel beer, but is this the best in prague or should i look out for something else?



we will be staying near wencelas square, can anyone recommend a few pubs with good atmosphere during the day, or are there anywhere we should avoid as tourists?



many thanks for any replies.



mike




|||



…blogspot.com/2008/01/some-serious-beer-hunt…



have a look at this link,lots of great info and great beers mentioned there, and Pivero who often posts on here knows his stuff.



http://www.classiccitybrew.com/prague.html



this link will give you lots of cklassic pubs,beerhalls and microbreweries to enjoy.



lots of different beer available in the city and Plisner Urquell is one of my favourites.



other beers i enjoy are Budvar,Bernard,Krosovice and Gambrinus ,all of which are availble in many places throught the city.



looks for some of the more local beers made in the micro breweries,I loved the St Norberts Anber beer from The Klasterini Pivovar up by the Strahov Monestry.



Staropramen is the locally mass produced Berr and though very widely available is not a favourite of mine.




|||



BTW I was recently in Austria and though the beer is good and in a similar style to the Czech beer it really is a poor imitation .




|||



try %26#39;u provaznice%26#39; or %26#39;bredovsky dvur%26#39; both around the corner from wenceslas square, serving pilsner urquell...




|||



Pilsner Urquell, only tanková, unpasteurised, is worth it. The above mentioned Bredovský Dvur is a good option.



But you should also look for smaller breweries, those that are unkown out of the Czech Rep. (and not very well known here, either). Near Weceslas Sq. you have Ferdinanda ( …blogspot.com/2008/01/ferdinanda.html ) a very nice pub with decent foor, great beer and very good service.



I agree with unclegus. Austrian beer is fine, but once you have good Czech lagers you will look at it with different eyes....





Na Zdraví!



MAX



http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/




|||



cheers for the replies guys.



if austrian beer is is just ok then i really can%26#39;t wait to try czech beer!



only nine more days til i get my first sip. can almost taste it now.




|||



Unclegus and pivero





On an impartial note, how do you reckon the Czech beers mentioned compare against Munich beers like Augustiner and Paulaner?





Cheers



Stoofer




|||



That is quite a controversial beer topic :)



I lived in Germany for a few months a few years ago and went through many of the industrial lagers. The only two that I still remember after all this time are Jever Pils and Paulaner Salvator. (I didn%26#39;t know rauchbier then, otherwise I would remember that, too)



I will always prefer the average Czech lager to the average German. It%26#39;s the taste, the mouthfeel and the Saaziness :), but there is something else, hard to describe, but I will try.



When drinking a couple of German Pils, I%26#39;ve had enough. When drinking a couple of České Ležáky, I%26#39;m just getting started. Czech beers (always in average) tend to go down much easier despite having more malt in them. There is something that your average Czech brewmaster has that a German one misses, some sort of magic maybe.



But then, it all comes down to personal tastes and experiences....



Na Zdraví



MAX



http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/




|||



I think you are probably right as an average and in general terms. I%26#39;m no beer expert but having been around Germany I always remember the taste of local Munich beer as better than northern parts. Bavaria seems to be the %26#39;beer capital%26#39;.





Augusteiner out on it%26#39;s own but the Paulaner Weissbier from the Viktualienmarkt always seemed special too, 1000%26#39;s of locals drinking the stuff so I guess always fresh. It doesn%26#39;t travel as I%26#39;ve tried bottles here - not the same. I still go to Munich twice a year on business and spend an extra day or two drinking the beer:-)





Definitely a question of taste and Yes I loved the beer in Prague, but if I had to choose I%26#39;d go for Augustiener because of the sweet aftertaste.





I wondered if anyone else had the direct comparission



and why they favour one from another?





Cheers



Stoofer





P.S. Of course Augustiner is double/almost triple the price of Urquell:-(




|||



PPS Nice Blog! Wish I%26#39;d tried the Monastry at the end of your write up - Looks great:-)




|||



Oh! But you do have several lagers here with a sweet aftertaste. Im just sampling Krakonoš Velikonoční Ležák (ester lager) that has a nicely bitter finish which leaves a pleasant, mild fruity aftertaste.



Stronger Czech beer, and dark ones specially, tend to give you a sweeter experience.



Oh! thanks for the words Stooferuk....



Na Zdraví!



MAX



http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment