Thursday, March 29, 2012

Prague Advice?

My wife and I are going to Prague for a couple days this early fall (September) before heading on to Germany. Could anyone help with some questions?





- What%26#39;s the best way to get from the airport into the town? I%26#39;ve read about taxi rip offs, is there public transportation available?





- Is the town safe at night? We are in our mid-20s, so we%26#39;ll likely be out at pubs late. Neither of us are sloppy/loud/obnoxious/angry when we drink, so we wouldn%26#39;t be drawing attention to ourselves, but as a foreigner late at night, do I need to worry about getting mugged?





- What areas should I avoid?





- Is there any dining etiqutte I should know? Do people tip?





Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!




|||



Look at the forum topic on todays page - airport transfers. There is pupblic transport but I would get to your hotel first and then look into buying a day pass for the metro and tram. Cheap and you don%26#39;t have to keep worrying about having a valid ticket. You can walk around most places but sites like the castle cathedral, Loreta, Petrin Hill etc are a hike. Get tram up and meander down on foot - or funicular - can use same transport ticket. My friends and I found town very safe -not a single problem. We stayed near Wenceslas square where the stag/hen nights tend to go but you can avoid this. Stay around the old town/Charles bridge area. Dining very casual. Yes tip if you get good service like anywhere else.




|||



Hi - We used Mike%26#39;s taxi. I had found it originally on this website and they are also recommended in Rick Steves book. I don%26#39;t remember the exact cost, but we had an early morning pick up (5 am) and just wanted to be sure we had reliable transportation. We also used Mike%26#39;s for a pick up in Vienna, stopping in Cesky Krumlov and then going to Prague as well as a day tour to Dresden, Germany. I highly recommend them. If you can%26#39;t find their info on this forum, send me a message and I can get you his info.




|||



Oh, forgot to mention, try to stay away from the Old Town and all the touristy places when looking to eat. Its so much cheaper going a little away from Old Town.





We did tip - about 10% of the check, if it was deserved. There was one place we ate that the service was not good at all and we left very little. I don%26#39;t think you are obligated to tip - from what I have heard, they are not like in the U.S., as here it is customary to tip and that is their salary, but not in Europe.




|||



Thanks for the comments!




|||



We went to Prague last summer and loved it. We took a taxi from the airport and thought we got a fair deal. I think the city is very safe to be in and it is beautiful at night just hanging out in the cafes and on the bridge. I don%26#39;t know why, but there is alot of great italian food in Prague, some great little pizzarias, and restaurants.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment