Thursday, March 29, 2012

3 days in Prague

My family (self/spouse/21 and 19 year olds) is spending 3 days in Prague next week. I%26#39;m looking for suggestions on how to spend our time. We were thinking of a walking tour one day and have heard we should try for a guide in the castle area. Any other thoughts or suggestions?




|||



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k10265…




|||



You COULD take a guided tour if you really wanted but its much more fun to buy a good guide book and explore yourself.



It%26#39;s so compact for walking, and a great tram and metro network gets you wherever you need to be.You can buy a 3 day transport pass at the airport which is great value.



Castle area and Malostrana are very close together on one side of the river - you could easily spend a full day there. Have a look inside St Nicholas%26#39; Church on the square. A walk on Petrin Hill is lovely if you want a bit of peace and quiet!



The Old Town Square is gorgeous, go for a guided tour of the Town Hall and also go up the Tower for fantastic view of the city.



If you like classical music go to one of the many concerts that take place daily.



Just plan ahead to make the most of your time and enjoy!




|||



I also went to castle area perhaps you mean Karlstejn. It is situaded outside Prague. As far as I remember I was not problem to find some stands offering these kind of trip. Stands are situaded at many places in the centre but I do not know which one is offering castle trip. I was joined to some group of other travellers. Everything was arranged by stands company.




|||



The Jewish Quarter is interesting. We didn%26#39;t take a tour for the castle, just did it on our own, aslo don%26#39;t miss the terraced gardens which are part of the castle grounds.




|||



Response to blue74Chicago: Check Frommers.com and find the webpages on Prague. In that section, you will find descriptions of 4 different walking tours of Prague (including the castle) that you can download and print. I did that and they were quite helpful.





The alternative is hiring a private guide for just a day or half a day (at least that%26#39;s my preference in most foreign cities). They can show you the highlights and you can return at a later time to those sights that interest you most. In Prague, an English speaking private guide may charge as little as $30 an hour -- well worth the money.




|||



I had a short trip to Prague last year and hired a private guide. I learned a lot about Prague%26#39;s %26quot;history%26quot; and also about the more recent of events of my guide%26#39;s life. Her experiences with life under communism...etc... I thought it was money well spent for me. She toured me around Mala Strana and Old Town and New Town. I ended up doing the castle on my own.





I don%26#39;t often hire guides and usually rely on guidebooks but since I was traveling alone I was also keen to spend time with an English-speaker. It ended up feeling more like I was visiting Prague with a friend who knew her way around than a %26quot;tour.%26quot; I highly recommend her.





She is a licensed guide. Her name is Dana Chaloupka.



www.sweb.cz/travelcz/





She also gave me a great list of Czech movies to see when I got home. I am slowly making my way through the list.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment