Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prague Never Lets You Down - My observations

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers and tips. I have just returned from my 5th visit to Prague in 8 years and I am already looking for flights to return as soon as I can.





This was my second time as part of a stag group, previously as groom and this time best man but please don%26#39;t hold this against me :-)





It may surprise some members but we have yet to cause any problems and on both occasions first time visitors among us have and will return with their families as, I assume, more desirable tourists.





The city remains as beautiful as ever and the unseasonal sunshine last weekend helped to make Prague truly golden. As tour guide I was obliged to return to several places that I have visited before and noticed how many buildings have been refreshed, particularly in Mala Strana and Hradcany. This added to the almost surreal sense of beauty, as did the cold pivo atop Petrin Hill. It was also good to find that both the Cathedral and Golden Lane have become free to enter since my last visit and the Metronome is working again.





I enjoyed seeing more of Mala Strana and Kampa Island, and walking through an almost deserted Castle at 6pm on Sunday evening - breathtaking. Excellent meals were eaten in Strahov Monastery (thanks unclegus), U Medvidku and U Glaubicu. I must also confess to a personal penchant for smazeny syr especially to help soak up the Kozel at U Cerneho Vola, which remains thankfully unspoiled. I tried my first beer cheese, Olomouc cheese, Beef Tartar, and received my first compliments on my very limited Czech pronunciation. This inspired me to ask for a beer in Czech only to find that I was charged 30CZK and the rest of the group were charged 50CZK when asking in English!





Other positive observations were how quiet the new trams are, how customer service generally seems to be improving, how the city police seem more visible (and helpful)around the Old Town and how the number of hawkers and beggars appear to have dropped. As a smoker blighted by the UK ban in public places it is also good to see that smoking can still be enjoyed or avoided without interference by law (and restrictions on the amount of tobacco that can be brought back have been lifted)





On the negative side, the reach of the gentlemans clubs seems to have extended - I was amazed to see advertising by Darlings Cabaret close to Ruzyne airport and even more surprised to see an %26quot;official%26quot; brown street sign alongside those for Charles Bridge and Prague Castle. The club promoters also seem much more prevalent than in the past to the extent that for each one of us we had 2 guys trying to drag us into %26quot;their%26quot; club and accompanying us along the length of Wenceslas Square. Despite this, one attempted pickpocketing, and (on my own stag do in 2004) finding an intruder in my hotel room stealing money I still firmly believe that Prague is much safer after dark than Manchester or London. I saw no problems that could not be easily avoided and feel that anyone used to visiting cities should not be concerned by the scare stories in some guide books.





The only other downsides for me were -



the relative cost increases caused by the strong CZK (but less than 20 GBP for 13 beers and 5 light meals is still incredible value)



running out of time to visit Pivovarsky Klub



not getting to a live football or hockey game this time, and



having to write a best mans speech upon my return home :-(





We stayed at Pension Stupart, which I am amazed has not been mentioned in this forum before. It was located perfectly on Stupartska within sight of Tyn Church and the Old Town Square and was clean, spacious and excellent value, particularly for large families or groups. I will use them again when I take my wife in August.





Sorry for this long post but I can%26#39;t wait to return to Praha and will be cheering on the Czech Republic at Euro 2008 until then.





Diky moc



McV




|||



Excellent review from another Pragueolic!!And in my opinion the rowdy stag parties that I have seen in years gone by seem to be on the decline ,although it is still fairly cheap it isnt dirt cheap in Prague anymore which from that aspect is a good thing.



TORII




|||



Thanks great report. Prague is addicting and going back seems to make it more so.




|||



McViking





Great report my friend and echoes a lot of my thoughts on this wonderful city. I love my hometown but i wish i was born in Prague





TheGeeMan (your fellow Manc)




|||



It%26#39;s a shame you didn%26#39;t get to a footy or ice hockey game after all that! I had it all planned out for you as well :)



Bit of a Manc corner, this...




|||



Glad you didn%26#39;t let the theft attempts spoil your fun. Any tips on what to watch out for/how you thwarted them?




|||



Lovely sensible balance report.I liked the new trams as well,only got to ride a couple on my last visite ,much easier for old guys like me to get on them.



glad you enjoyrd the klasterini at Strahov and U medvidku,places I alway return to.



did you get a chance to try the rabbit?



I too will be supporting the Czech republic through Euro 2008,well who else can i support!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment