Friday, March 23, 2012

Traveling to Prague from NYC in February

My fiance and I are getting married next February. We decided to go to Prague for our honeymoon (I%26#39;ve already been there and loved every second of my time there!). We figured that even though the U.S. dollar is awful right now, Prague would still be cheaper than visiting the Euro zone, although it won%26#39;t be as affordable as it was five years ago when I studied there. But we%26#39;re okay with that.





My issue is this - We%26#39;ve been looking at airfares regularly and noticing that they%26#39;re hovering at around $800 per person for a non-stop flight from New York City to Prague. We are adamant about taking a non-stop flight, and since Czech Airlines is the only airline that flies nonstop from New York, they have no competition and thus have no incentive to lower their prices. On the other hand, it%26#39;s hard for me to believe that I might have to pay $100 more to fly during the winter than I did five years ago when I visited during the summertime!





So my question is - Do you think prices will be lowered, perhaps sometime this summer? I don%26#39;t fly regularly and thus don%26#39;t really understand the nature of change with airfares. If any of you have visited Prague from NYC during the winter, how much did you pay? Thanks for any advice you can give!




|||



The Euro might be dropping against the dollar over the next year much more so than the Crown.





That being said, I think $800 for a non-stop flight is about right. Normally, I fly to Gatwick or Heathrow and then catch a connection to Prague but that can be painful given the delays with BA.





Another option might be to catch a flight to Frankfurt for about $450 and use the extra $700 in savings ($350 x 2) to spend some time in Germany and then take the train to Prague.





Either way, you%26#39;ll have a wonderful time in the city. It%26#39;s very nice (even in February). Congrats on the engagement!




|||



I have a feeling you may be able to do better. I can%26#39;t imagine february is a busy time in prague. I would wait until the end of summer to book any winter flights. I booked a multi segment flight from NYC %26gt; Munich for oktoberfest %26gt; prague for a few days %26gt; NYC and the flight was around $850. The flights to munich for the fest are always pricey. Id be surprised if you couldnt do better.




|||



Hi there,





Regarding airfare. The fare itself is not that high; it’s the fuel surcharge that makes the price outrages. It is going to be even higher next year. I travel to Europe every year and very much familiar with the prices. Why don’t you book a package with the one of the Tour Operators? It will save you money in a long run. Try New York based Isram Travel or Picasso Tours. You can book your tour for advance and they can customize your Honeymoon package, including airfare.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 am, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment