Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bottled Water and Coffee

I stopped in a small restaurant in Prague Old Town or was I in New Town? (Jungman) because they had a 99 crown lunch special. That was great, under $7 for a nicely presented chicken dinner. But the tiny bottle of water cost 79 crowns, or over $5!!!



And my coffee at the restaurant/cafe across from the Astronomical Clock in Old Town was $8!!!! for one of those tiny European cups.



Consider yourself forewarned.




|||



I found beer the best beverage buy in Prague.




|||



A few minutes of reading on this forum would have told you not to buy anything from the ripoffs on the Old town square!





But i agree with you that its a bit strange to pay more for sodas then beer. Had my daughter with me on my recent trip and it almost ruined me (LOL).




|||



Try a coffee on the Marcus Square in Venice...




|||



Same things happens everywhere in the world.



Piazza S. Marco , Plaka and Thisio in Athens, S Elysee in Paris. Even in Nam Svobody in Brno the coffee is more expensive than other parts of the town.



They are not called exensive areas just for the fun of it. Everything is 100% more expensive.





If you want to watch the clock during your coffee you`ll pay for it.



If you want to look at vltava when you wake up you go to 4 seasons and pay a months paycheck each night.




|||



It has always been the case that beer is cheaper than soft drinks - it%26#39;s just one of those Czech things... Actually come to think of it, the same is true in the UK, and drinks have always been the main money-spinner everywhere you go. That%26#39;s why if I am not drinking beer I always ask for corporation pop wherever I go (voda z vodovodu), which is free. They have to give it to you.



Have you ever been to Paris, or London, for example? If yo go to the equivalent places even at the prices you state above Prague is cheap in comparison...




|||



%26gt; It has always been the case that beer is cheaper than soft drinks ...





Yes, it is very often the case here in Switzerland or in many other places. I%26#39;m not surprised at all. Bottled drinks are usually more expensive than, say, beer from the tap. Bottled beer can be a bit more expensive.





Don%26#39;t know about 79czk water. That seems a price at a top restaurant.





I had a glass of 5dl beer at the old town square that was about 80CZK at one of the terrace with view of the astronomical clock and the Tyn. I also have had a couple of expensive drinks at Piazza San Marco. I did them KNOWING those drinks were expensive and could be 3/4 times less elsewhere of the city. Some times that%26#39;s worth it. I just don%26#39;t do that very often.




|||



I agree with others, look at any tourist city around the tourist %26#39;landmarks%26#39; and it%26#39;s the same story. Try a coffe at deux maggots in Paris etc. etc.





In Prafue, the biggest sting has to be Urquell pilsner at the airport for CZK 135.





When compared to the local city price of CZK30, that is the equivalent to being charged £15 for a pint of fosters at Heathrow.





Ive only been once, but if I was a regular I would complain to the necessary authorities, I don%26#39;t see how it can be justified.





Stoofer




|||



harrods coffee £3.90 a cup so about 1200ck now thats expensive




|||



sorry been a long day 120ck




|||



And you can pay over CZK300 in Venice, so?





A tourist hot spot is what it is, pay or avoid but moaning about it afterwards seems futile.





Plenty of places at normal price just a block away.





Stoofer

No comments:

Post a Comment