Sunday, April 15, 2012

What part of town to stay for my parents in early 60s

Hello,



I%26#39;m traveling w/my parents in their early 60s. Can you please recommend the best area of the town for a hotel location? I%26#39;m looking for something central to main attractions and close to a train station.



I believe the following are the areas:



Hradcany



Josefov



Malá Strana



Nové Mesto



Nusle



Smíchov



Staré Mesto



Vinohrady



Vysehrad





But I%26#39;m just not sure what are is the best and close to everything, just to make it a little easier for my parents.





Also, I would loooooooove any recommendation for a nice budget hotel. But I guess once I get AREA suggestions I can keep on looking.




|||



There are at least 4 train stations in Prague. Which one do you want to be near?





If you want to be (tourist) central, you would want to avoid Nusle, Smíchov, Vysehrad, Vinohrady. Perhaps, Hradcany too. That%26#39;s good for the castle area but somewhat away from the other attractions. Stare Mesto (Old Town) would be the best.





Define your budget. e.g.maximum what? And when you are going? Remember the rates change depending on the seasons.





Residence Mala Strana 3* might work for you. They have only 1-room junior suites and 2-room senioir suites. A senior suite would be ideal yor 3. I have stayed 3 times there in last 1 year and paid €32 - € 90 for a junior suite (as I said the rates change low - high seasons). Check and book either direct or via venere.com



http://www.hotelresidence-mala-strana.com/



Oh, its location is not Stare Mesto, obvioulsy as the name indicates otherwise, but a tram stop (for about 6,7 lines) is 10-meter away. Also 10 minutes leisurely and nice walk along the river to Charles%26#39; Bridge. If your parents are healthy and reasonably fit that woudln%26#39;t be a problem. But it%26#39;s not particularly close to train stations, except maybe Smichov station.





In Stare Mesto, I had a good experience with then newly opened Residence Bene last year. It costed €45 (in high season September) for 1 person but they gave me a large room with 3 beds, that would be ideal for you. Now with works done and everything in place, the rates have doubled but considering the location, it%26#39;s not bad. The hotel is in Josehov/Strare Mesto border. 3 minutes (Old town hall), 5 minutes(Old Town Square), 13 minutes (Charles%26#39; Bridge). Mala Strana is my preference but for first timers, this may be better.




|||



Kat1 ,



Can you tell me is Residence Bene more of an hostel than a hotel? I have some friends going to Prague and from what I have read I do not know whether to recommend this place or would it be full of younger travellers especially with the rates they quote?The location would be ideal.



TORII




|||



I would look for something on the Old Town side. (Stare Mesto) Its flat and easy to walk around in. The castle side is hilly and hard to walk around in.





If you go to some of the bookings sites. I think www.venere.com and www.bookings.com both show hotels by area. Check some that are in your price range and then come back to TA and see how they are reviewed.




|||



U Prince Hotel in the Old Town Square.





Bargains to be had on Travel Supermarket.




|||



Thank you all for your very helpful advices... This is perfect exactly what i was looking for.



Again, thank you very much...




|||



Hi TORII,





Sorry for late reply. I just saw your post now.





Here is the review I posted after my stay there in Septemebr 2007.





tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d736…





For me it was more like an apartment. My room was specially spacious. Even with unnecessary 2 beds, it was not cramped at all, had an empty fridge, but it didn%26#39;t have kitchen nor tea making facilities. A small residence like entrance, reception staff were youngish, very pleasant and friendly but I didn%26#39;t need their help particualry so cannot tell about their competence. A possible negative point was the reception was open only 08:00 - 20:00. Outside those hours, you can open the hotel%26#39;s entrance with your room key. If you check out but have to leave the luggage till let%26#39;s say 21:00, that would be a problem.





All above was when I paid half of the rates of today, when it was still 2*. Now is it 3*? Then there may be changes and improvements. Perhaps when a hotel is a 3*, the reception has to be open 24 hrs? I don%26#39;t know. I consider myself rather a care free guest when I stay at hotels and to me the place was a very good budget choice .




|||



Oops, I hit the send button too soon.





Bottom line, I would stay at Residence Bene again for about €50. For about €80, I will choose Residence Mala Strana that has better rooms, better breakfast, better almost everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment